Monday, June 6, 2011

Kindred Essay


Have you ever noticed that me these days are being very abusive to woman? Well in my opinion I believe that some men are abusive to woman because they think they have more power and woman won’t do anything because they are afraid of the consequences. For example in the book Kindred, Rufus is a white man who does this kind of woman abuse to Alice(a black woman)and forces her to have sex with him but she does not want to.
 Octavia Butler is a woman who wrote the book Kindred that has many massages. The main message I think is important is that people shouldn't force sex. A reason I picked this message is because when I hear things like this in the news or in articles about raping or sexual abuse makes me feel bad and help the community to stop this oppression. Another reason why I picked this message was because it also makes me want to transform this situation by stopping violence against woman.
 Another example of the book kindred of woman abuse was when Tom Wheylin caught Dana teaching Nigel how to read, so when Tom saw Dana he started hitting her till she starts bleeding and throwing up. And one more example of woman abuse is that at the end of the book when Rufus wants to do the same thing to Dana what he did to Alice in the cook house, and then she ended up killing him even though they use to be best friends. From the book Kindred I think that Dana is a very strong woman who offends herself and protects others because she cares about them and she also cares a lot about her culture. Every time she would transport back to the, that would mean that Rufus is in trouble and she saves him.
At the end of the chapter Rufus tells Dana that she should do everything he tells her to do and she will take care of his children but Dana does not want to. Then Dana and Rufus are talking in the cook house and Rufus tries to rape her but then Rufus gets on top of Dana and she grabbed a knife and stabs him on the back but he doesn’t let go until she kills him and she transports back without an arm. From this I learned that Dana didn’t wanted to get rape and was protecting herself because I believe that Dana is a woman who doesn’t have to be abused by any other men and this makes me feel bad because when this will happen to me I would do the same thing Dpana did(kill the man).

No comments:

Post a Comment